Our Pittsburgh Storage History
Like most Pittsburghers, we at City Center Self Storage have lots of pride for our city and its history – especially given the century-old story of the building we call home. Our facility is located in River Walk Corporate Centre, formerly known as the Pittsburgh Terminal Warehouses, a historic Pittsburgh storage facility.Built in 1906, the complex boasted accessibility and ample space – features that lured industrial giants such as Westinghouse Elevator, US Steel, and American Hardware. The structure cost over a million dollars to build, took more than two years to complete, and kept two independently-owned brick yards working throughout construction. The convenience of forty-eight operating freight elevators kept tenants coming to the space to store their goods throughout the depression and WWII, and, as one of the most secure spaces in Pittsburgh, the 6th floor was even used to store ammunition and ordinance for the War Department. At one time, the Pittsburgh Terminal Warehouse operated a full service horse stable, barber shop, diner, Savings and Loan, river terminal, and train depot.
After more than five decades, multiple uses, and two ownership groups, the property was given a new life under new owners in 1963. Renovations transformed the historic complex into a cutting-edge office space for architects, photographers, and entrepreneurs, and established it as a strong stable of local, family-owned businesses. As one of these businesses, City Center Self Storage is proud to honor our facility’s rich past and is excited to be a part of its dynamic future!
To see more of our building’s history, read this blog post which features postcards of the building from the 1910′s and another blog post featuring pictures from a 1960′s brochure for the building.
Ready to rent? Save time by filling out our application form online. We’ll have a completed contract ready to sign when you arrive!